As a devoted beauty junkie with a (recovering!) shopping addiction, I am always gathering samples, which typically come with online purchases. They’re a great way to try things out, but also to get suckered into buying them! I thought it would be fun to share my first impressions on a week’s worth of samples and let you know whether or not I plan to purchase a full size of the products. For quick reference, WNR stands for Would Not Repurchase/Recommend and WR is Would Repurchase/Recommend.
- Lancôme Rénergie Lift Multi-Action Crème Légère ($120*): I was not a fan of the texture of this cream, it was like a thick personal lubricant, if I’m being honest. My skin didn’t feel moisturized at all, but in the morning it was very smooth. I prefer the Visionnaire Nuit Beauty Sleep Perfector, which achieves both results without the yucky texture. WNR
- Biotherm Blue Therapy Cream-In-Oil ($79*): Wasn’t that taken with this moisturizer to spend almost eighty big ones on it. WNR
- Biotherm Aquasource ($50*): I can’t be sure that I’ve linked to the right product, because Biotherm has about 10 products called the same thing. Whichever one this is, it was a lovely summertime gel moisturizer with a strong “green” smell. It has apricot kernel oil, shea butter, a sugar-based moisture retainer called mannose, some sort of bacterial ferment, and a whole army of other ingredients I’m not familiar with. Still interested. WR
- Charlotte Tilbury Scent of a Dream ($85*): I love CT, but I don’t appreciate this paper sample. Less expensive brands have offered more substantial vials, for sure. From what I could tell, this has an unusual sweetness that can be cloying, as well as lots of sharp violet. It’s a little spicy as well, as though Charlotte wanted to hit every fragrance category in one go. I can’t exactly place this thing, nor does it inspire any “dreams” as the title might suggest (could they be more pretentious?), but I wouldn’t mind going for a small bottle for the autumn. WR
- LUSH Cosmetics Cup O’ Coffee Face and Body Mask ($19.95*): I should have known from the start that this was not going to be my cup of tea (pun intended) based on my experience with other coffee-based scrubs. They’re always messy, and leave grainy, brown stains on the tub. Cup O’ Coffee is no different, however that’s not to take away from its effectiveness. It comes out like a thick mud (that would be the kaolin, also known as China clay) and features tons of small grains for removing dead skin, as well as the signature truck stop coffee scent. I left it on as a mask afterwards, and found that it effectively cleaned my skin of excess oil. My skin was remarkably smooth and soft to the touch after using, but I really can’t get past the mess it makes. Combination to oily complexions will love using this, but for me it’s a no-go. WNR
- LUSH Cosmetics Salted Coconut Shower Scrub ($29.95*): It’s the battle of the LUSH body scrubs, isn’t it? I just find it so difficult to find the right balance of ingredients, benefits, and usage experience. Here I liked the individual ingredients on the page, but in practice I was let down. I found the scrub to be okay at removing dry skin, but it left an uncomfortable film and smelled like Play-Doh. WNR
- LUSH Cosmetics Self-Preserving Ocean Salt Face and Body Scrub ($37.95*): This was the clear winner of the trio I sampled, but still not one I would purchase. It has quite large, uneven sea salt, with vodka to tone. The scrub wasn’t too harsh, but definitely strong enough. My skin felt smooth and hydrated after use. But something was definitely off about the scent, it’s like it wants to be fresh and citrusy but it just falls flat, ending up more woodsy than anything. I’m sorry that I just can’t commit to a product that doesn’t smell incredible. WNR
Have you tried any of these products? What have you been loving this season?
*Prices true at time of writing.
Enjoyed this article? Love fragrance & beauty? Make sure to subscribe to Nosegasm.com by email so you don’t miss the hottest reviews, latest news, and awesome giveaways. Find us on Twitter, Instagram and YouTube, too!