During the month I come across so many products that it’s hard to remember which ones I like, and why I do. So, this is my way to track my thoughts – straight from my Notes app to the blog. The pictures were snapped with my iPhone 3GS – that’s a 3MP camera, in case you’re wondering – so please forgive the quality. Make sure to let me know what you think, and as always, thanks for reading 🙂
April 2014 Sniffing Adventures
30/3/14 (technically not April, but after March’s post was written)
Shoppers Drug Mart
– Essence Like a First Day in Spring: Essence fragrances? Come on. This is a soft melon floral, doesn’t smell like spring as much as summer. Oddly pleasant, might be worth a sniff. And at $4.99, you really can’t go wrong.
– Guerlain La Petite Robe Glamour: ANOTHER LPRN flanker?? At least this one’s fabulous! Super juicy synthetic cherry opening (and that’s it..?).
– Davidoff Cool Water Night Dive: Awful. Dreadful. My grandfather wears Cool Water but he’d never enjoy this. I wish I could un-smell this.
– Dolce & Gabbana Dolce: Such a silly bottle that aims to be elegant but is unsuccessful at it (may just be their take on the Marc Jacobs Daisy bottle). Soft white floral, reminiscent of Giorgio Armani’s Acqua Di Gioia Essenza (but more expensively priced, I’m sure). Perhaps I’m just bitter that D&G wouldn’t send me an advance sample.
– Thierry Mugler Alien Eau Extraordinaire: Strong citrus opening in another unnecessary flanker. The sprayer was nearly broken, too.
– Escada Cherry In The Air: This is last year’s release, so I’m glad I got to try it. Fantastic cherry, not synthetic like the Guerlain, but not as good as this year’s edition.
– Lise Watier Vent du Sud: Fantastic sweet fragrance, I always love sniffing it.
– Versace Yellow Diamond: Very faint floral, nowhere near bold enough to deserve the ridiculous bottle.
– Burberry Burberry Brit Rhythm For Women: It’s good, but unremarkable.
– Nina Ricci La Tentation de Nina: At last I’ve found it! There’s only one tiny bottle left, but it’s a fabulous raspberry fragrance. Recommend.
– Calvin Klein Eternity Summer 2014 For Women: Gentle floral, I don’t get summer from this but it’s nice nonetheless.
– Calvin Klein Eternity: I asked to compare the summer edition and the original, and found something offensive in it. Don’t like.
The Body Shop
– I walked in because something smelled fabulous. The SA helped me track down the scent, called Satsuma, and I sprayed the EDT. Oh, my, GOD! What a delightful treat. A fantastic pick me up, simple and terrific.
– Justin Bieber Next Girlfriend: Toxic berry cotton candy blend. Hate that I don’t mind this. Also, NEXT girlfriend? Have some respect Biebs.
31/3/14 (technically not April, but after March’s post was written)
Shoppers Drug Mart
– Nautica Nautica Voyage N-83: That’s quite the name… I’ve seen too many displays for this to ignore it any more. I think the slogan is deceptive: “fresh aromatic woody cologne” – this is an eau de toilette, not cologne. Anyway. Good opening, indeed woodsy. Slightly reminds me of D&G Light Blue, but incredibly long lasting. Almost like driftwood on a beach… I’m pleasantly surprised.
– Cristobal Balenciaga Balenciaga L’Eau Rose: So good! Can’t stop sniffing my tester. Super sweet opening with a musky base.
Bed Bath & Beyond
– Lumalight Seaside Bonfire candle: Smells like smoky bacon. I like.
– Elizabeth Arden Rosemary Mint room spray: Strong mint for like a second, then nothing. Save your 1.79+tax.
Real Canadian Superstore
– Demeter Ocean cologne: Good, but not ocean. I’d buy if I wasn’t in a hurry. Excellent price too. Did you know Christopher Brosius of CB I Hate Perfume co-founded Demeter? ‘Tis true.
– Demeter Rain cologne: Now THIS smells like the ocean. Definitely not the smell of rain, and I’d know since I spent two hours in it yesterday.
– Demeter Pineapple cologne: Mmmm… A basic if delicious pineapple scent. I’ll wait for this one to go on sale.
– Demeter Thunderstorm cologne: So nasty. I don’t know what this even is, but it’s not good. Intriguing concept though, although I have to ask how a storm is different from rain (which smells like ocean, so IDK).
Shoppers Drug Mart
– One Direction That Moment: I can see the flanker for this now: That Awkward Moment (when a boy band breaks up). The asymmetry of the bottle bothers me as much as the boys’ vocals. A very sweet floral, I didn’t even bother trying the original for fear of dying.
– Tommy Hilfiger Tommy Girl Brights: I sincerely hope that the actual bottle comes with something other than the plastic cap of the tester. Very sweet lemon, like lemonade. Quite delightful. I tried to get a sample, but they only had the men’s version. BRB, crying. The 50mL bottle is only $36, which makes me seriously consider making this my summer scent and calling it a day.
– Tommy Hilfiger Tommy Brights: Cut grass, but bitter. Not good in my humble opinion. Not sure how I ended up with two samples of it, either.
– The Voice Woman: What is this even? Smells like purple grapes. Cool bottle! Just looked it up and found only one result relating to it, on the second page. Why is this surfacing right now?
– The Voice Men: Generic citrus opening, I am not bothering with the rest.
– Juicy Couture Couture La La Malibu: Almost had to ask the SA what the difference between the orange and pink bottles is. Really solidly made bottle. Something with an orange base, but not as good as the $80 it costs.
– Juicy Couture Juicy Couture Malibu: I literally cannot identify anything. Nose fatigue or just bad perfume? Who knows.
– Air Wick Color Changing Candle in Vanilla Butter Cream Cupcake: This is what a cupcake scent should smell like, not B&BW’s disaster. Cool concept with the color changing, too. Candle Scoop’s done a review for the line, check it out here.
Shoppers Drug Mart
– Revlon Fire & Ice: Okay, I’m tired of finding out that makeup brands make fragrances. Like, can someone make a list for me? Anyway, despite not having plastic wrapping, despite having an extremely old fashioned bottle, despite being $9.99 (wait, that’s not a bad thing), this was surprisingly good. It’s a nice vanilla based fragrance with a not-dusty peppery note.
– Tom Ford Champaca Absolute: Boozy, rather light. Delightful! Got a sample made, so expect a review.
– Tom Ford Shanghai Lily: Slightly peppery, musty smell. Doesn’t live up to the hype.
– Tom Ford Café Rose: WHAT is this? It’s sweet, but what is it?
– Dior Diorama: Good, but old fashioned.
– Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile: Delightful sweetness of citrus.
– Frederic Malle Lys Mediterranee: Good ‘old guy’ scent.
– Creed Neroli Sauvage: Potent lemon.
– Hermès Un Jardin Sur Le Nil: At last we meet! It is every bit as incredible as I’ve heard and then some. Got two samples.
– Chanel Beige: Powdery sweet. Not bad. They didn’t have a sample of this, but the SA gave me three others – works for me.
– If anybody in Toronto is looking for the Britney Spears Fantasy Anniversary Edition or Island Fantasy, they’re here, for pretty cheap. Would have grabbed one if I could sniff first. In addition, they had Bond No 9 fragrances for $200 each, and I’m pretty sure that’s the last time I’ll ever see BN9 in Toronto. Other finds included various Pink Sugar flankers, endless Sexual flankers, and even an Eau d’Orange Verte ($49.99).
L’Occitane en Provence
– Verbena: MOTHER OF GOD, I NEED THIS SWEET SWEET JUICE IN MY LIFE. AHHHHHHH.
– Arsene Lupin Dandy Eau de Parfum: This is easily the most interesting, special scent I’ve smelled recently. The bottle is cool, the story behind the line is cool, and the fact it’s only available in Paris, Toronto, and Vegas is cool. If you can, order a sample! It would certainly make a fabulous present for a collector (AKA does anybody want to buy me a bottle?).
– Idylle: This was a good fruity fragrance with a floral base – gorgeous bottle, but the cap is a bit tough to pry off.
Shoppers Drug Mart
– Diesel Loverdose Tattoo: Unexpected sweet bakery scent. Meh. Then, a generic floral, so it’s a pass for me. The bottle is interesting, because put it down wrong and down to the floor it goes.
– Calvin Klein CK One Summer 2014: Bright sweet lime without much substance. Nice bottle, though. Maybe a little coconut in the dry down? Just not enough to make me LOVE it.
- Prada Candy Florale
- Puma Puma Green Brasil Edition, Puma Yellow Brasil Edition
- Arquiste The Architects Club
- Maison Martin Margiela’s collection
- Lacoste Eau de Lacoste L.12.12 Blanc Limited Edition
- Biotherm Biotherm Eau Fraiche
- Thierry Mugler Pure Wood
- Vera Wang Princess Power
- Atelier Cologne’s collection
- CB I Hate Perfume’s collection
- Yankee Candle Peeps candle
- Lush’s Gorilla collection
- Lush shower jellies
- Thierry Mugler Angel Eau Sucre
- Philosophy’s collection
- Bond No. 9’s collection
- Hopeful order: Percy Jackson collection samples from AmbersHallowbyEC
- Hopeful order: Once Upon a Time collection samples from delightfulrot
- Hopeful order: Snicklefritz, Tie Dye, Lemon Pavlova melts from Lasting Scents Candles (inspired by Sunnee’s post, which would also force me to finally buy a wax warmer)
- Hopeful order: The Bathing Garden melts from the Alice in Wonderland collection (inspired by TouchTheFireTwice’s video)